Thursday, February 21, 2008

Devotions this week

There are 2 verses that stuck in my mind this week
The first being Psalms 119:19 I am a stranger in the earth

Often times I feel like that stranger in the earth. I don't fit in with the world, and I don't fit in with the Christians. My presence is ever peculiar, often uncomfortable.
_________________________________________________________

The second, I read today Psalms 119:83 For I am become like a bottle in the smoke; yet do I not forget thy statutes

In the commentary given by Ryrie he suggested the bottle would turn black and shrivel. I disagree with that. Not knowing for sure if they had glass in that time, but to me a bottle would mean glass or another hard fixed container, one that isn't going to shrivel up. Instead if you heat a bottle in extereme heat to cause it to smoke, what you going to get is an explosion. The bottle will explode with pressure.

I often feel like that bottle, ready to explode any time. I know the Bible I know God's Word and it explodes in my soul. The just shall live by faith, if faith is obedience, I want to be just, I must obey. But when I see others around me not doing that or even disobedience in my own life, that bottle cools, the explosion doesn't take place, the smoke is just a rather annoyance. Lord let my Bottle explode with your precepts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Though the image of a glass bottle about to explode in the heat may fit your own feelings at times, in David's time and culture the word n'od usually referred to a skin container. Given the context of the psalm, I'm afraid I would have to go with Ryrie as to how the original author intended it.